In celebration of Give Something Away Day, the Brownieland Team volunteered at the Atlanta Community Food Bank on their Grocery Floor!
The Atlanta Community Food Bank works with more than 600 partner nonprofit agencies in 29 counties – these include food pantries, shelters, community kitchens and other programs that provide food for the hungry. The Grocery Floor is the place where the ACFB partner agencies can get extra product in addition to the orders they’ve already placed online. What’s great about this opportunity is that as a volunteer, you get to help representatives from partner agencies with product selection and actually see the food being packed up to deliver out into the community!
Pictured: ACFB Grocery Floor staff member, Mike, with a volunteer who enjoys the experience so much that she comes back on a weekly basis! ACFB is a wonderful organization to volunteer for, with hands-on opportunities and a staff that has a lot of heart!
The mission of the Atlanta Community Food Bank is to fight hunger by engaging, educating, and empowering our community. Through their network of partner nonprofits, they provide nearly 58 million meals for more than 755,000 people each year.
Some things to know about the ACFB:
- For every dollar donated, the Food Bank can provide 4 meals.
- 95% of every $1 donated goes to serving our community.
- In May of 2017, the Food Bank distributed 6,124,358 pounds, enough to provide more than 5.1 million meals.
- Last fiscal year, 22,000 volunteers served over 107,000 hours of their time with the Food Bank. It would take nearly 50 full time staff members to do that work!
- Their work extends far beyond the distribution of food including benefits outreach, education and advocacy, nutrition and wellness, and community gardens.
It takes lots of food, people and big ideas to guarantee that the community has the food they need for a healthy life. The goal of the Atlanta Community Food Bank is that by 2025 everyone in their service area will have access to the nutritious meals they need when they need them. Find information on how to get involved with the Atlanta Community Food Bank HERE.
Check out all of the wonderful nonprofit organizations Brownieland Pictures will volunteer with this year by following our #10in10 Campaign. Plus, follow us on Facebook and Twitter to follow the #BestofBrownie celebrating our 10 year anniversary.We want to hear your stories for the greater good so that we can share how your organization is impacting communities!